Thursday, February 25, 2010

13.1 Miles...

On Sunday, February 21, I ran a half marathon. It was certainly not my first as years ago, half marathons were my favorite past time... and running 10 plus miles was my typical weekend run. But February 21 was really a first in many ways... the longest run since 2006 and finally being able to accomplish a half marathon again! I ran the entire race rather than what I was prepared for... walking/running... I did prepare by training (mostly with Yale) and spent my weekends increasing my mileage up to 10 miles. Of course I continued and still continue to run one mile a day every day... and it is amazing how that little mile has helped me prepare for where I am today.

I am most impressed with my children. This was Yale's first half marathon... he ran the entire thing. (He and I signed up for the Buffalo half marathon last May and walked most of the way. We had hoped to walk/run it, but I had intense knee pain and was unable to.) This was Eden's fourth half marathon and she gets stronger every one.

Compared to my half marathon history, this was by far my slowest race. But for me, it wasn't a race. It was a long run... a beautiful run... with a really cool medal at the end of it!

I can't stop smiling when I think about how perfect the day was, the weather, the scenery, the experience, running with my family, the accomplishment. I can't help but being proud of my children and of course myself as I keep on thinking, "I did it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers