Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Logging lots of miles

Last week I ran 15 miles, still logging in at least one mile every day. This week (Sunday) I began the week with what was supposed to be a 6 mile run with Yale and it turned into an almost 9 mile run, which shocked us both but was thoroughly enjoyable. Yale is terrific to run with. We stay together and talk, talk, talk... about everything. It makes the time go by. In addition, it was snowing and the longer we ran, the harder it snowed... it was beautiful and we both felt great. Monday's mile was easy and able to be outside. Today's mile didn't happen yet even though I usually run in the morning. Soooo cold outside. Only 15 degrees. It may be a treadmill mile later in the afternoon.

I have had off and on knee pain while running since this summer, and it has only gotten worse since the weather has turned so cold. Even when I am not running, I have experienced knee pain due to the cold. I recently tried different knee braces. The ones I like the best is a thin knee band that straps directly under the knee. I have one for both knees now and I find that it really helps.

I also run with calf sleeves (compression stockings) that I purchased at a running fair in West Palm. They are supposed to not only help keep your legs warm, but also improve blood circulation and blood flow, allowing runners to run longer and faster. In addition, they promise to offer support to the calf and shins, reducing the likelihood of shin splints. They are comfortable to wear and I like them. I have even worn them while running a mile on the treadmill.

I am excited to have logged in more than 70 consecutive days of running... certainly a first for me!

2 comments:

Followers